Have you ever considered how the food your German Shepherd eats affects its health? One of the most important things to consider when choosing a new food for German Shepards is the age of the dog.
There are so many dog foods on the market that it can get pretty confusing. There are quite a few outstanding brands but in my opinion, the best brand for German Shepards is Orijen.
Orijen is a grain-free product that caters to the needs of your dog. This is very important for growing German shepherd puppies.
As a dog trainer, I can definitely recommend this dog food. As an added bonus, dogs love it!
Let’s get into the details of Geman shepherd dog food. Here’s a list of recommendations that will do your dogs a world of good.
Being a caring and responsible pet owner can be quite stressful. To remove some of that anxiety, consider one of the following dog foods for your German Shepherd.
The Best Dog Foods For German Shepherds
- Orijen Original – Best Over All
- Wellness Large Breed – For Whole-Body Nutritional Support
- Taste Of The Wild Large Breed- For A Balanced, Ancestral Diet
- Diamond Naturals Large breed – For Superior Nutrition
- Holistic Select Large breed – Best Holistic Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large breed – Diet Of The Wolf
- Merrick Grain-Free Large Breed – Best Raw Alternative
- Dr. Gary’s Best Breed Holistic German Dog Food – Developed For German Shepards
- Natural Balance L.I.D. Large-Breed Formula Dog Food – Good Quality Gluten-free Dog Food
- Royal Canin Specialized Dog Food for German Shepherds – Specifically formulated for German Shepherds
First ingredients: Chicken, Turkey, Flounder, Whole Mackerel, Chicken Liver
Orijen grain-free dog food is committed to providing only the best nutrition for your pooch. This dog food is based on the ancestral diet of ancient dogs.
It contains a fair amount of different kinds of animal protein to support the carnivorous habits of your four-legged best friends. This means that your pooch will get all the nutrients biologically required to keep your pup happy and healthy.
This food contains up to 85% pure animal ingredients which include the whole prey animals. This means that you can find organs in the ingredient list which are very healthy for your pooch to eat.
- The first 5 ingredients are all of a named animal origin
- Contains loads of essential proteins, vitamins, and minerals
- Includes succulent parts of the prey animals such as organs and bones
- Extra flavor due to being freeze-dried
- Very pricy
- No specialized food
First ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Barley, Peas
Wellness large breed is specially formulated to support the bodily needs of your German Shepard. German Shepards are a large breed of dog which means the carefully chosen ingredients in this food can only lead to a balanced, healthy diet.
The ingredients are chosen to include protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics, taurine, and omega fatty acids for optimum health. It will encourage a strong immune system, promote healthy skin and coat, optimized energy levels, and whole-body health.
You can trust this brand to be free of any GMO’s, fillers, by-products, and artificial additives.
- Free from GMO’s, fillers, by-products, and artificial preservatives
- Specially formulated for large breed dogs
- Contains probiotics, glucosamine, taurine, and omega fatty acids
- Contains quality ingredients
- Only two bag sizes
- It may not be suitable for dogs with food sensitivities
- Not suitable for puppies
First ingredients: Beef, Peas, Garbanzo Beans, Lamb Meal, Canola Oil
If you want to feed your K9 friend as nature intended, try out Taste Of The Wild dry dog food. This dog food was designed to mimic the diet of wolves from which dogs came to be.
This dog food is made from quality proteins such as wild boar as well as nutrient-rich legumes. It is highly digestible and will provide your fluffy friend with the energy it needs to keep going throughout the day.
It also contains probiotics for digestive health as well and antioxidants, essential minerals, amino acids from real ingredients. The food also tastes great and comes in a variety of other flavors your German Shepherd will love.
- Contains real meat and other quality products in the first 5 ingredients
- Contains vitamins and minerals from real fruits, vegetables, and other superfoods
- Supports the digestive system with K9 specific probiotic strains
- Free from grains, corn, wheat, artificial flavors, and colors
- Excessive carbohydrates
- Low level of omega 3 fatty acids
- Includes several controversial ingredients
First ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Cracked Pearled Barley, Ground White Rice
Feed your large breed dogs with the quality food they deserve by choosing Diamond Naturals. This food contains superfoods and guaranteed probiotics for all your German Shepherd’s needs.
Ingredients for this dog food are harvested from cage-free establishments and quality fruit and vegetable farms. You can rest assured that you’ll only find real food in your dog’s food.
If you want to provide your dog with a holistic diet, then you can’t go wrong with Diamond Naturals.
- Ingredients come from trusted sources
- Contains real ingredients from cruelty-free farms
- Specially formulated for large breed dogs
- Contains glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health
- Includes K9 specific probiotics
- Free from corn, wheat, artificial flavors, and colors
- Chicken is a potential allergen
- Includes salt and other undesirable ingredients
- A large portion of the protein comes from non-meat sources
First ingredients: Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Lentils, Peas, Dried Ground Potatoes
Big dogs need proper meals to keep them going. Holistic Select varies the size of their kibble to accommodate the size of the dog. This makes it much easier for dogs to chew.
The food itself is also made from the best ingredients. It supports digestive health with added probiotics, fiber, and digestive enzymes.
It also contains chondroitin and glucosamine for added joint health. Large breeds tend to put a lot of strain on their joints due to their size after all.
There are also options for large breed puppies that will be a great start to your german shepherd’s growth and health. If you have an older dog, you can select the senior variety.
- Includes ingredients for overall digestive health
- Omega fatty acids for coat and skin health
- Contains glucosamine for joint health
- Contains ingredients that support a healthy heart
- Great taste
- Made from high-quality ingredients
- On the more expensive side
- Not clear where all the ingredients come from
First ingredients: Deboned Beef, Fish Meal, Peas, Pea Starch, Tapioca Starch
Dogs came to be by domesticating and selectively breeding wolves. As an ancestry of these magnificent creatures, dogs still need a similar diet. Wolves are mostly carnivorous. They will eat almost anything that runs that they can get their fangs in.
Besides meat, wolves will also occasionally eat fruits and different grasses. This is the diet Blue Buffalo Wilderness bases their large breed dog food on. Blue Buffalo Wilderness also tries to keep its foods as natural as possible, deriving all its ingredients from the wild.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe For Large Breeds was specially developed to keep your K9 friend energized and well-fed. This recipe contains real red meat, fruits, and vegetables.
Blue Buffalo also contains glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy joints. This is especially important in large breeds. It also contains meat from multiple named sources such as lamb, venison, and beef to make sure your pup gets all the nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
- A great alternative to raw food diets
- Contains omega fatty acids for improved coat and skin health
- Free from allergens such as chicken
- Free from fillers such as corn, wheat, soy, and by-product meals
- Includes natural ingredients such as real vegetables and fruits
- A great choice for pets with sensitive stomachs
- Some dogs may react to some of the proteins used
- All products contain a lot of calories.
First ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes
Keeping your best friend happy and healthy is simple with the Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Large Breed recipe. This dog food is freeze-dried and contains real meat from verifiable sources such as chicken.
It also contains real fruits and vegetables such as peas, apples, and blueberries that provide ample antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. This recipe also contains other protein sources such as duck and lamb to make sure your K9 friends get everything they need from their meals.
Your buddy will get all the benefits of a raw diet by eating this freeze-dried kibble snack. It contains high levels of omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat. You can also expect to find glucosamine and chondroitin in the ingredients for joint health.
This food will help your buddy to build muscle while maintaining high levels of energy to keep going throughout the day.
- The food has been freeze-dried to preserve the raw values
- Contains real meat such as deboned chicken
- Includes duck and lamb as alternative protein sources
- Ingredients come from verifiable sources
- Some dogs may have a negative reaction against this food
- May cause upset stomachs when introduced
First ingredients: Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Fat
Dr. Gary’s Best Breed Holistic German Dog Food was specifically developed to meet all your German Shepard’s nutritional needs. This food is nutrient-dense and can also be fed to Rottweilers, Dobermans, and other large breed dogs.
This brand supplies protein from several named sources such as chicken, eggs, and menhaden fish. The mixture of proteins helps with supplying the necessary amino acids and other building blocks your dog needs to build and support muscle development.
Dr. Gary’s Best Breed Holistic German Dog Food also contains glucosamine and chondroitin from a natural source called green-lipped sea mussels. These nutrients are essential for joint health. This is especially important in German Shepherds.
This food is also designed to be very easy to digest. This is due to containing high-quality ingredients from real food sources such as real fruits and vegetables. It also contains healthy fiber for optimal digestive health.
Digestive fiber also helps large dogs like German Shepherds to maintain a healthy weight.
- Provides balanced nutrition for large breeds dogs such as German Shepherds
- Contains proteins from real sources such as chicken, eggs, and menhaden fish
- Contains quality fiber for gastrointestinal health
- Contains glucosamine and chondroitin from a natural source to support joint health
- Contains vitamins and minerals from real fruits and vegetables
- Contains ingredients that might upset sensitive digestive systems
First ingredients: Lamb, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Bran
If you’re looking for a gluten-free dog food that still includes some quality grains, then look no further than Natural Balance L.I.D Large Breed Formula Dog Food. This food uses quality grains such as brown rice that is naturally gluten-free and nutrient-rich.
This dog food is specifically designed to meet the nutritional needs of your large-breed dog. It uses protein sources such as lamb that have naturally occurring amino acids that promote strong muscles.
The fiber found in brown rice supports healthy digestion while the size of the kibble promotes delta health. The kibble size also encourages large dogs to eat slower since they are forced to chew properly.
There are also added vitamins and minerals to support your dog’s immune system. This promotes overall good health and adds to the balanced nutrition your fluffy friend needs.
- Contains protein from real sources such as lamb
- Naturally gluten-free
- Contains healthy grains such as brown rice
- Contains amino acids for healthy muscles
- Specifically formulated for large breed dogs like German Shepherds
- Great for dogs with food sensitivities
- Not ideal for dogs with certain health issues
- No formulas for weight management in senior dogs
- Does not own its manufacturing plant
First ingredients: Brewers Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal, Brown Rice, Oat Groats, Chicken Fat
If you have a german shepherd, then this dog food is for you. It is specifically designed to meet the nutritional needs of pure-bred German Shepherd dogs. This food contains specific nutrients that will help your large dog thrive.
The kibble size of this food is specialized to fit the teeth shape of your dog. German Shepherds often guzzle down their food without chewing. This kibble will force your dog to chew.
This way, it also supports digestive health since the hard kibble will promote gum and teeth health by removing tartar buildup on the teeth. You can also expect to find highly digestible proteins and fiber in this dog food that will promote gut health.
German Shepherds tend to have poor stools and runny stomachs. This food should help to promote stool formation and digestive health. There are also nutrients from fish oil in this food that will promote coat and skin health.
Another thing german shepherds need is glucosamine and chondroitin. These nutrients promote joint health. German Shepherds tend to have very poor joints and can do with the extra boost.
- Specifically designed for German Shepherds
- Specialized kibble size to promote chewing
- Promotes healthy digestion due to the added digestive fibers
- Supports healthy skin and coat
- Contains chondroitin and glucosamine for joint health
- Contains filler ingredients such as corn
- Not grain-free
- Contains by-product meal
When buying food for German Shepherds, there are a few things you should keep in mind. German Shepherds have special needs when it comes to joint health as well as the age of your dog. Here’s what you should know.
German Shepherds require foods with real protein sources such as real lamb, chicken, beef, or venison. This is very important for supporting your dog’s overall well-being. Protein supplies the body with nutrients such as amino acids that help with muscle development and maintenance.
For this reason, it is important that your dog has protein-rich food to support its body. This is even more important in puppies so make sure to choose a good quality high protein food specifically made for large breed puppies.
Glucosamine and chondroitin
German shepherds tend to have problems with their hip joints. To avoid this to some extend, make sure the food you feed your dog contains glucosamine and chondroitin. These nutrients are specifically there to support joint health.
Probiotics and fiber
It is important to choose a food with some added probiotics. German Shepherds often have problems with digestion. Probiotics contain beneficial bacteria that will improve gut health which in turn should help with producing healthy stools.
Another thing to consider is fiber. Fiber is absolutely necessary to form healthy stools. It also prevents diarrhea to some extent. The main job of fiber is to bulk up the stool to make it easier to pass. It also softens the stool for the same reason.
Vitamins and minerals
The more natural ingredients the food contains, the better. If you can, choose a food that contains real fruits and vegetables. These foods supply your dog with vital nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants which are very important for overall health.
Omega fatty acids
Omega fatty acids are very important for keeping your dog’s coat, skin and brain function in optimal condition. They help to improve cognitive function and have a bunch of other beneficial effects as well.
You can find omega fatty acids in anything that contains any form of fish like fish oil. It’s also possible to get it from some kinds of veggies so keep an eye out.
The best dog food for your German Shepherd will ultimately depend on if your dog has any allergies, health problems that require a specific diet, and how old your dog is. There are specialized foods available for german Shepherds, but they aren’t always the best.
For the best choices, consider the foods mentioned above. To buy these foods, simply go to www.chewy.com and type in the brand of your choice. Once you’ve searched the brand, you can select the food of your choice and click add to cart if you want to buy it.
Once done, go to your cart and click the checkout button. This should take you to a secure screen where you will be required to fill in the shipping details as well as choose how you would like to pay. Your food will be delivered to the address of your choice.
Which feed is best for German Shepherds?
Orijen Original. This food contains a lot of proteins, in fact, the first 5 ingredients are all of animal origin. This means your dog will have all the protein it needs while still consuming a healthy, balanced diet without any unnecessary fillers and additives.
What foods are bad for German Shepherds?
Any foods that contain a lot of filler ingredients such as corn, wheat, and soy are bad for German Shepherds. Food that contains artificial ingredients also isn’t very high on the list of what to feed your dog.
Is wet or dry food better for German Shepherds?
Wet dog food is better for German Shepherds. It contains more protein and fewer carbohydrates that can be bad for your dog.